Okinawa Sunrise

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Jet lagged and all briefed out!

Ladies and Gents!

I extend salutations from the wonderful world of jet lag! Welcome to my first post from Camp Foster in Okinawa, Japan. It is 3:53 AM and I am full of beans, the joys of spring...whatever you want to call it I cannot sleep. But do not fear, I am confident that I will catch up this afternoon during my DAYLONG driver improvement course ( I swear I can handle the left side of the road thing, I'm British for the love of mike!!....can I leave after lunch???).

I have created this little blog at the urging of my best bud (you know who you are) in the hopes of keeping any interested friends and family stateside appraised of what we are up to over here. Pictures will follow I promise but right now I just have shots of two very sleepy little travellers on our 13 hr Chicago to Osaka crossing....not pretty!

We arrived late on Tuesday night (thats early Tuesday AM for my eastcoasters, mid morning for you Westies) after a sushi dinner at Osaka international and a injurious run in with my 70lb suitcase! Our sponser Brian picked us up and took the 4 enourmous pieces of luggage quite well. We loaded up and tore through Naha on our way to foster.

Naha city is a darn site bigger than you would imagine for a 60 some odd mile long spit of an island. Its what I imagined Tokyo looked like but I'll have to confirm or deny that later when we hopefully visit there. Among the first things we were told is that driving in Okinawa is a bit like a bumper car derby and if any bumps actually result...they are your fault, you pushy American you! After our road safety briefing today I am now inclined to steer clear of the wheel as much as possible!

My Lt and I are still resident in the temporary lodging suites. Not too shabby either! I can't help than feel a little guilty when I hear that single marines are moved into what is none too lovingly called the Q. Quite the roach motel I hear. But I am counting on them to move off base so that even if we end up here...we'll have people to visit! The housing brief is on Friday and we hope to get the offer of a place then...I keep you posted.

Other than that we have not ventured off base just yet...nor have we even really investigated the on base facilities. Its all newcomers briefs, driving tests and paperwork. But we will certainly have more interesting stories for you in the coming weeks so stay tuned!

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

yay! so happy you joined. :-) miss you, lots of love, talk soon! i can't wait to see all the pics and updates and live vicariously though you. Also, I applaud your use of the word "antipodes". Well done, indeed.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey You! sorry i missed you when you were in NY. bad weekend. i'll explain later. in the mean time, glad to hear that you made it ok. when you have an address please email me so i can write you a big long letter about whats been goin on. tell your man i said hi. i miss you tons and love you lots! talk to you soon!
love always,
Alex

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡Qué gusto poder leer tus noticias querida "Okikitten" y tener la oportunidad de contestarte!
Cariños al "Okicat" y felicitaciones por el penthouse en la base. Seguiremos leyendo tu blog.
Disfruten su penthouse,

Tus papapas

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home