Okinawa Sunrise

Thursday, March 01, 2007

A whale of a time!





Ok it's a corny thing to say but it was great fun!
In February and March, humpback whales migrate through the East China Sea very close to Okinawa. Lots of boats head out to watch them, we had about 5 boats following this one pod of about 7 young males. The funny thing about whale watching is that it's about 1 minute of excitement when they all come up to frolic and well...breathe,....followed by 5 minutes of trying to figure out which direction they swam and then when you spot them again, taking off at break neck speed in their direction....often just in time for them to head below again. hence, it's pretty hard to snap a good pic! I have lots of pictures of ripples in the water! The most exciting part of the morning was when one what swam about 3 feet under out boat and we could all see him just under the water.

They are really beautiful creatures!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Adrian and Natalia,
It's Noel Robinson. Charlie and I were at your very lovely wedding back in May. Adrian, knows, of course, that I'm one of the New Rochelle women who knew his Mom very well. I just found out about your blog recently from Mary Keegan. Natalia, it' a pleasure to read! It's very well written and chock-a-block full of facts about your part of the world that I really didn't know. How lucky you are to have such an exciting adventure at this time in your lives!!
All is well with us. My son Chip (whom Adrian may remember) is 28, a lawyer and living temporarily at home until he begins to earn enough to pay off some of his loans and get a condo (that will probably be within the year). My daughter, Meg, who is Adrian's age, is now engaged and living down in Texas. My husband Charlie is retired after 30 years with the NY Times, but I continue to teach English and Journalism at our community college. I also advise the student newspaper. This takes a ton of time, but I greatly enjoy it.
I still treasure all my friendships with my CNR girlfriends. Last weekend a number of us gathered in Boston to celebrate Mary Jo Murnane's 60th birthday. I finally got to see BC. It's a lovely campus and Mary Jo took us to an art exhibit there. We will all be getting together in June at my home in NJ for a long weekend. Whenver we do, we always raise a toast to Honora. Please send my regards to Gerald. I hope he is still enjoying life in France.
Keep these wonderful postings coming!!
Love, Noel

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home